Posted in Recipes on 08.01.2019
prep: 20 mins / cook: 12 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 32 mins / quantity: 24 cookies Print recipe?
These soft vegan oatmeal cookies have a light chewy texture, hints of sweet vanilla and a boost from vegan protein powder.
I’ve added the vegan protein powder because these oatmeal cookies make a great post work-out treat if you don’t have the time or circumstance to cook a protein rich meal after the gym. They’re packed with fiber too, providing a deliciously sweet energy boost. I love them as a quick and easy breakfast if I’ve got a busy day and want something filling but not bloating.
I’ve used Macacha Energy Blend in these oatmeal cookies. This specific blend is crammed with the good stuff – maca, baobab, cranberry, flax, seaweed and ginger. All with a divine sweet vanilla flavour that makes these cookies oh so very very good. Like eaten half the batch before you’ve even realised it good. Not that I’d ever do that kind of thing. Because warm, vanilla, oaty, soft but chewy cookies fresh from the oven isn’t pretty much the best thing ever of course.
They’re also incredibly easy to make. A little messy to shape but what’s a few sticky hands among friends right? They’re a glorious one bowl mix too – just blend together the wet ingredients then stir in the dry. I tried chilling the mixture to see if that would help make it less messy when shaping but it made absolutely no difference! I guess because there’s nothing in the mix to ‘set’ as the vegan ‘butter’ I used is a soft set anyway.
Either way a little bit of messy shaping to get gloriously tasty vegan oatmeal cookies is truly worth it in my book!
If you make this recipe or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture!)
prep: 20 mins / cook: 12 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 32 mins / quantity: 24 cookies
- 2 tblsp ground flax seeds
- 1/2 cup (130g) almond butter
- 1/2 cup (130g) vegan spread – I used Vitalite
- 1 large ripe banana
- 1/2 cup (110g) coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup (130g) plain flour
- 1 + 1/4 cups (140g) rolled oats
- 3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 x 33g sachet Macacha Energy Blend Protein Powder
- Preheat your oven to 160 Fan / 180 C / 350 F / Gas 4 and line 2 large trays with baking parchment or silicon mats
- Put the ground flax seeds into a mug and add 1/3 cup (85ml) cold water. Stir together then set aside
- Peel the banana, break into chunks and put into a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer
- Add the dairy free spread, coconut sugar and almond butter
- Mash together with a potato masher or use the paddle attachment of your stand mixer until everything is well blended
- Add the flax/water mixture (known as a flax ‘egg’) and mix in
- Stir in the flour, oats, Macacha Energy Blend powder and baking soda
- Using your hands (see note) or a spoon drop golf ball sized pieces of the mixture onto your baking trays, spacing evenly apart. Flatten each ball slightly with the back of a spoon or your hand
- Bake for 15 minutes until lightly golden and just set
- These are amazing while still warm but you can also leave to cool completely then store in an airtight container at room temperature
- It’s quite a sticky mixture so I used wet hands to shape and flatten the balls
- You can store the uncooked mixture in the fridge if you don’t want to bake all the cookies at once
Some products I used in today's post...
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Nooch. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
All things light, summery and delicious!
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword