Posted in Recipes on 25.09.2018
Orange Spiced Vegan Chocolate Muffins
prep: 20 mins / cook: 25 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 45 mins / quantity: 12 muffins Print recipe?
Which topping will you chose for these Vegan Chocolate Muffins?
I don’t know about you but I’m feeling all the autumn feels right now. And these vegan chocolate muffins with warming spices, a zing of orange and a choice of two toppings are really hitting that autumn spot!
Life’s about balance right? I eat my veggies (inevitable when you’re plant based). I eat my fruit (inevitable when you love fruit). And every so often (not as often as I’d like but probably more often than I should) I also eat a vegan chocolate muffin. Or a chocolate brownie. Sometimes a cookie (sometimes even a cookie for breakfast).
There’s a quote by Ann Wigmore (author of The Wheatgrass Book) : “The food you eat can be either the safest and most powerful form of medicine or the slowest form of poison.”
Everything I make I try and make as healthy as possible. I also believe that most things can be enjoyed in moderation. And a vegan chocolate muffin in moderation can be just as good for the soul as a Quinoa Salad can be for your body.
So what’s so good about these vegan chocolate muffins?
- I didn’t get them exactly right till my third attempt. Not tooting my own horn here but I’ve cooked for long enough now that ‘most’ recipes work first time. Some need a minor tweak. Most are good to go straight out of the box. Three tries isn’t unheard of (I’m looking at you here Raspberry and Almond Cake) but when I’ve made something and it’s failed twice before you can be darn sure it’s going to be something worth making in the end.
- Sweet Freedom Choc Shot Orange Spice. I’m a little bit in love with Sweet Freedom and their fantastic range of natural sweeteners and all things chocolatey.
- A choice of toppings! Why? Two reasons: because the crumble topping is just about as divinely autumnal and sweet as a crumble topping’s gonna get. And because the Sweet Freedom Choc Pot frosting I used on this Vegan Chocolate Cake, turned a fairly plain cake into a piece of chocolate heaven. Why wouldn’t I want that for these vegan chocolate muffins as well?!
So if you need a bit of good for your soul, tastes divine, rich and dark chocolate muffin look no further. All you need to decide is crumbly crumble or smooth and chocolatey ?
If you make any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture! ❤)
And don’t forget to follow us on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter for even more recipe inspiration and chat, competitions, behind the scenes and so much more!
If you make this recipe or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture!)
And don’t forget to follow us on Instagram , Facebook or Twitter for even more recipe inspiration and chat, competitions, behind the scenes and so much more!
Orange Spiced Vegan Chocolate Muffins
prep: 20 mins / cook: 25 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 45 mins / quantity: 12 muffins
- 1 tblsp ground flax seeds
- 2 medium very ripe bananas (the spottier the skin the better!)
- 3 tblsp Sweet Freedom Choc Shot Orange Spice
- 4 tblsp Sweet Freedom Fruit Syrup
- 1 cup (240ml) almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup (160g) wholemeal flour
- 1 cup (160g) plain white flour
- 2 + 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tblsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1 orange – grated zest only
- 1/2 cup (100g) dairy free chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup (80g) wholemeal flour
- 1/4 cup (50g) dairy free butter (I used Vitalite)
- 1 tblsp raw cacao powder
- 1/4 cup (40g) coconut sugar
- A few spoonfuls of Sweet Freedom Chocolate Pot
- Preheat your oven to 180 Fan / 200 C / 400 F / Gas 6 and line a 12 hole muffin tin with cases
- In a small bowl or mug mix the ground flax seeds with 3 tblsp of cold water and set aside while you mix together the other ingredients
- Peel the bananas and break into chunks into a large bowl. Mash with a fork or potato masher
- Add the Sweet Freedom Chocolate Shot Orange Spice and Fruit Syrup, almond milk and whisk all together
- In a smaller bowl or jug put both the flours, the baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, raw cacao and nutmeg and mix together
- Add the flax and water mixture (often called a flax 'egg') to the large bowl of wet ingredients, stir, then tip in the dry ingredients along with the grated orange zest and chocolate chips
- Use a rubber spatula to mix everything together very well
- Spoon evenly into your cupcake cases
- If you're using the crumble topping tip all the ingredients into a bowl and rub together with you finger tips until there are no lumps of the 'butter' remaining
- Sprinkle onto the top of each muffin then very gently push lightly into the mixture (this helps stop it falling off the cooked muffins!)
- If you want to leave the muffins plain or use the chocolate frosting don't make the crumble and just bake the muffins
- For all topping variations cook the muffins for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely
- Once completely cool store in an airtight container or spread around 1/2 a tsp of Chocolate Pot onto the top of each cooled muffin before storing
Some products I used in today's post...
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Nooch. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
All things autumn - warming soups, savoury bakes and delicious sweet treats!
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword