Posted in Recipes on 08.03.2019
Chocolate Chip Muffins
prep: 20 mins / cook: 25 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 45 mins / quantity: approx 16 muffins Print recipe?
These bakery style vegan chocolate chip muffins are perfect for breakfast, a delicious afternoon treat or an on the go snack!
We’ll just brush past the fact that the day I made these I pretty much ate them all day long. These were my breakfast, lunch, afternoon treat and post dinner dessert. But you’re a stronger person than me if you can resist fresh (and warm) chocolate chip muffins.
I actually have very little will power when it comes to food. My mum always used to say I live to eat not eat to live. I use food for comfort, celebration, commiseration and occasionally because I’m hungry.
I try and eat as healthy as I can as often as I can. And being vegan is supposed to be healthier right? But there are times (ahem last night) when my ‘dinner’ consists of a bag of hula hoops, 2 satsumas and a half a slice of the vegan banana bread Phil made at the weekend #WhatVegansReallyEat.
But warm chocolate chip muffins fresh out of the oven, oozing melty chocolate chips and smelling the way they do, well, there’s no salad in the world that can compare.
I did a bit of experimenting baking this muffin recipe by not using muffin cases for some of them – just greased and floured the tin. I’ve not tried it before because it seemed a faff. But there was something very satisfying about them just plopping out, unwrapped and ready to eat. I’m totally not weird at all.
If you’re wondering about the best vegan chocolate chips try these Kirkland ones. Yep they’re a big ol’ bag – because I get through about as many vegan chocolate chips in a week as I do oats and peanut butter! But they’re actually really good value, have a long shelf life and I promise you’ll be making this chocolate chip muffin recipe more than once! If you’re looking for something smaller though, these ones from Moo Free are fab too. They’re both bake stable – so you get an actual chocolate chip in your muffin recipe rather than melting and blending into the batter as they cook.
If you make this recipe or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture!)
Chocolate Chip Muffins
prep: 20 mins / cook: 25 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 45 mins / quantity: approx 16 muffins
- 1 cup (230ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 tblsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 medium size ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup (90g) golden caster sugar (you can sub with light brown sugar or coconut sugar)
- 1/4 cup (50ml) oil – your choice which – I used olive oil, but melted coconut oil, avocado oil and rapeseed (canola) oil should work too
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups (300g) plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 cup (100g) chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 180 Fan / 200 C / 400 F / Gas 6 and line 16 muffin holes with cases. Alternatively you can brush a little vegan butter into the muffin cups of the tin, then sprinkle in a little flour. Shake the tin so that the flour coats the butter then tip out the excess
- In a small bowl whisk together the milk and vinegar. Set aside
- Peel the bananas and break into chunks into a large bowl. Mash with a fork or a potato masher
- Whisk in the caster sugar, oil and vanilla
- Whisk in the milk and vinegar mixture
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda then gently but thoroughly mix together with a rubber spatula. Scrape up from the bottom of the bowl, making sure there are no flour pockets remaining
- Reserve a few chocolate chips for sprinkling on the top then stir in the remainder
- Evenly divide between the muffin cups, filling each one approx 2/3 full. Sprinkle a few of the reserved chocolate chips on top of each muffin
- Bake for 25 minutes until a tooth pick inserted into the centre of one of the muffins comes out clean. If there's any raw cake mixture clinging to the tooth pick return to the oven until cooked
- Cool for 5 minutes in the tray then carefully lift out onto a wire rack to cool completely
- Store in an airtight container
Some products I used in today's post...
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Nooch. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
All things light, summery and delicious!
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword