Posted in Recipes on 02.07.2019
Go Nuts Donuts
prep: 20 mins / cook: 25 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 45 mins / quantity: 12 donuts Print recipe?
Baked vegan donuts dipped in chocolate, topped with crumbled Grenade Go Nuts bars – full of vegan protein and delicious rich flavours!
Are you team baked donuts or fried? And how about donuts or doughnuts? I think that’s a colloquial thing. And in our house they’re called Duffnuts anyway. But I’m a lazy typer and donuts has less letters so …
I can also be a lazy baker. And recipes don’t come any easier than baked donuts. One bowl of wet, one bowl of dry, mix together, pipe and bake.
These teeny tiny mini Lemon and Poppy Seed Donuts are, if possible, even easier. These little things are dangerous. 10 minutes to make, 10 minutes to cook and so small you can just keep pop pop popping them in your mouth. And I did.
Dipping in chocolate or some kind of frosting IS optional but ABSOLUTELY recommended. Unless it’s the cinnamon donuts from our new E-book. They’re just drenched in cinnamon sugar warm from the oven. I don’t have the words to describe just how close to food heaven they are.
Similar noises of satisfaction were made for these Go Nuts donuts too. I’m not normally a salted caramel person. I don’t mind sweet and sour, but my taste buds never really wrapped themselves round the whole sweet and salty thing.
But Phil loves these Go Nuts bars from Grenade though. They’re low sugar, high protein and are salted peanut flavour. He actually loves all the Grenade products but since being vegan these bars are the only vegan product in their range so I was intrigued with how I could use them in a recipe. Crushed and added to the raw batter, then roughly chopped and sprinkled on top of melted chocolate takes an ordinary baked donut to a whole new level of deliciousness.
There’s just enough sweetness in the batter, bitterness in the dark chocolate and salty tang from the bars for a perfect combination. Phil was supposed to take the spares to the gym for his protein loving gym buddy but 12 donuts didn’t even last the evening. Sorry Kieran.
If you make this recipe or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture!)
Go Nuts Donuts
prep: 20 mins / cook: 25 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 45 mins / quantity: 12 donuts
- 1 tblsp ground flax seeds
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/3 cup (50g) coconut sugar
- 2 x 40g bars Grenade Go Nuts
- 1/2 cup (125ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup (140g) coconut yoghurt
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup (75g) dairy free dark chocolate
- 1 x 40g bar Grenade Go Nuts
Donut moulds – I used these (colours may vary!)
- In a medium bowl mix the ground flax seeds with 3 tablespoons of cold water and set aside
- In a large bowl put the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and coconut sugar, stir together
- Unwrap 2 of the Grenade bars and either chop very finely with a sharp knife or whizz in a food processor until well chopped
- To the flax seed mixture add the milk, yoghurt and vinegar
- Preheat your oven to 180 Fan / 200 C / 400 F / Gas 6 and grease your donut moulds with a little oil or spray oil
- Add the bowl of wet ingredients to the bowl of dry and mix thoroughly together, making sure no pockets of flour remain
- Spoon into a piping bag either with just the end snipped off or a fairly narrow plain nozzle fitted
- Pipe the batter into the moulds, filling each recess 2/3 full
- Bake for 25 minutes until well risen and golden
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes in the moulds before popping out then leave to cool on a wire rack
- Once the donuts are cooled, break the chocolate into chunks and melt in the microwave or over a bain-marie (a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water)
- While that's melting roughly chop the remaining Grenade bar - you want smallish pieces but some nice definable chunks!
- Dip the smooth, rounded side of the donuts into the chocolate then sprinkle with some of the chopped up Grenade bars
- Leave the chocolate to set before storing in an airtight container
Some products I used in today's post...
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Nooch. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
All things autumn - warming soups, savoury bakes and delicious sweet treats!
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword