Posted in Recipes on 13.07.2019
Summer Fruit Galettes
prep: 20 mins / cook: 35 mins / inactive: 30 mins / total: 1 hour 25 mins / quantity: 6 galettes Print recipe?
There’s a burst of bright fruity flavour in every bite of these vegan and gluten free summer fruit galettes!
I didn’t set out to make these summer fruit galettes gluten free but Hodmedods asked me to make something with their buckwheat flour which, despite its name, is completely gluten free. Buckwheat is a seed rather than a grain and and comes from a completely different botanical family to wheat.
I find it has a delicious, almost malty, flavour and lends itself very well to both sweet and savoury dishes.
Are you a pastry purist? Do you like ‘getting your hands dirty’ especially when it comes to making bread or pastry? I’m fast becoming a fan of making pastry in a food processor. And is it weird that it makes me feel a little guilty? It’s just SO quick and easy! Not that making pastry by hand is a lengthy job, and I guess you have to factor in the extra washing up of the machine. But I finally have a food processor that just works, that will blitz more than one cauliflower floret at a time. Rather than just watch that solitary floret bob around the bowl unchopped for a while.
And while I’ve called these SUMMER fruit galettes you can totally mix it up with whatever season you’re in right now. Hello autumn fruits and pumpkin spice. Or even autumn veggies for a savoury galette.
But right now I can’t get enough of these beautiful fruity jewels. When juicy peaches, apricots, strawberries and cherries are a daily treat.
And I love that you’re supposed to be rustic with your pastry for these galettes. No primping or frilling. Just roll circles of pastry, pile on the fruit and fold over the pastry allowing those bright colours to peep through with the promise of all that delicious summer flavour.
If you’re feeling that summer vibe right now and looking for recipes to compliment that feeling we’ve got you covered …
Roast Nectarines with Nice Cream
Chocolate Banana Milkshake Ice Pops
Warm Peach and Sweet Potato Salad with Balsamic Dressing
These summer fruit galettes are at their absolute best served warm with a big dollop of vegan ice cream. If you’re in the UK Sainsbury’s do a gorgeous vanilla one – though they’ve called it vanilla iced dessert rather than ice cream. And I’ve heard good things about this Alpro one.
Once cold the pasty is a little chewier than normal pastry but these can easily be reheated for crisp warm fruity goodness again.
If you make this recipe or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture!)
And don’t forget to follow us on Instagram , Facebook or Twitter for even more recipe inspiration and chat, competitions, behind the scenes and so much more!
Summer Fruit Galettes
prep: 20 mins / cook: 35 mins / inactive: 30 mins / total: 1 hour 25 mins / quantity: 6 galettes
- 2 cups (300g) Hodmedods Buckwheat Flour
- 3 tblsp coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup (50g) vegan butter
- 8-10 tsp cold water
- 4 apricots
- 2 peaches
- 18-20 strawberries
- 12 cherries
- Start with the pastry - if using a food processor put all the ingredients except the water into a bowl with the blade attachment and whizz until no lumps of the butter remain. Gradually add the water, a little at a time, until you have a soft dough
- If making the pastry by hand put the flour and butter into a bowl and rub the two together between your fingertips until they resemble sand or fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar then add the water to form a soft dough
- Form the dough into a sausage shape, wrap in cling film or paper and put in the fridge for half an hour
- While that's chilling prepare your fruit - cut the apricots and peaches into slices, discarding the stone. Remove the stalk from the strawberries and quarter. Halve the cherries and remove the pip. Mix all the fruit together
- Preheat your oven to 180 Fan / 200 C / 400 F / Gas 6 and line a large baking tray with parchment or a silicon mat
- Cut the dough into 6 even sized pieces and roll out to rough circles about 6 inches (15 cm) in diameter
- Divide the fruit into small, even piles across the middle of each of the circles of pastry
- Fold the pastry over the fruit but not so it completely covers it, forming pleats (see photo in post)
- Gently place them onto your prepared tray(s) spacing evenly apart and bake for 35-40 minutes until crisp on the bottom of the galettes
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or a rich caramel sauce
Some products I used in today's post...
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Nooch. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
All things autumn - warming soups, savoury bakes and delicious sweet treats!
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword