Posted in Recipes on 19.03.2019
Vegan Protein Brownies
prep: 20 mins / cook: 35 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 55 mins / quantity: 15-18 squares Print recipe?
Soft and fudgy, these triple chocolate vegan protein brownies are given an extra boost from vegan protein powder!
You know that expression – if it aint broke, don’t fix it – well I felt a little bit that way making these vegan protein brownies. I’ve made a lot (and by a lot I mean a LOT) of brownies over the years. In places I’ve worked and at home it’s a favourite everywhere. Soft, fudgy, a bit cakey and an undeniable hit of chocolate, brownies are the thing I would normally have ordered if we ate out. Especially as they were usually warm and served with ice cream.
And when I made the best vegan brownies right here I worried about gilding the lily. I still wanted that brownie perfection but wanted to change things up a little, make them a tiny bit healthier and give them some extra protein oomph.
If you’re a bit bored of protein energy balls or protein bars, then this could be your new favorite post workout recipe.
These are great for:
And pretty much anyone who loves chocolate and is looking for an ooey-gooey chocolate protein brownie.
Phil (the “him” part of The Cook & Him) is weight training 6 days a week now, he always looking to up his protein intake so these Vegan Protein Brownies are a perfect post-workout treat, all the Personal Trainers love it when he brings in a warm batch!
Which Vegan Protein Powder works best in these Protein Brownies?
I’ve become a big fan of Macacha protein powders. They’re a very fine powder and mix in beautifully – be that as a drink or in whatever I’m baking with them. Like these Oatmeal Cookies – I used the Macacha Energy Blend for them, giving them a wonderful rich vanilla flavour. For these vegan protein brownies I’ve used the Beauty Blend – a combination that includes Organic Cacao Powder, Rosehip, Baobab and Maca Root with the protein coming from pea and rice.
So if you’re looking for:
- A decent vegan protein powder
- A slightly healthier treat but that’s still awesomely delicious and everything a brownie should be
- Or you just fancy some vegan baking with an extra protein boost
Then I would love you to give these vegan protein brownies a whizz – I promise you, you won’t be disappointed 😉
How to make these Vegan Protein Brownies
This brownie recipe is super simple and not much different to any other brownie recipe, simply:-
In a small bowl or mug put the ground flax seeds & water.
Melt the chocolate & vegan butter
In a large bowl sift together the plain flour, baking powder, raw cacao powder and protein powder, then add the caster sugar
Tip in the melted chocolate mixture, flax and water mixture, almond milk and coconut yoghurt and whisk
Pour into the prepared tin & sprinkle the chocolate chips across the top
And in around 30 mins you’ll be thanking me!
If you make this recipe or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture!)
Vegan Protein Brownies
prep: 20 mins / cook: 35 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 55 mins / quantity: 15-18 squares
- 2 tblsp ground flax seeds
- 1 + 1/4 cups (200g) dairy free dark chocolate
- 1/3 cup (60g) vegan butter
- 1 + 1/2 cups (220g) plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup (30g) raw cacao powder
- 1 x 33g sachet Macacha Beauty Blend Protein Powder
- 1 cup (160g) coconut sugar (or golden caster sugar)
- 1/2 cup (125ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup (125ml) coconut yoghurt
- 1/2 cup (100g) dairy free dark chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 180 Fan / 200 C / 400 F / Gas 6. Use a little vegan spread to brush the inside of a 7 x 11 (18 x 28 cm) brownie tin then coat with flour, tapping out the excess. I also lay a piece of cut parchment in the base of the tin as this makes it SO much easier getting the brownie out!
- In a small bowl or mug put the ground flax seeds with 1/3 cup (85 ml) of cold water. Mix well and set aside
- Melt the chocolate with the vegan butter in the microwave or over a bain-marie (a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water)
- In a large bowl sift together the plain flour, baking powder, raw cacao powder and protein powder
- Stir in the caster sugar
- Tip in the melted chocolate mixture, flax and water mixture, almond milk and coconut yoghurt and whisk together to form a sturdy batter
- Pour into the prepared tin, smoothing out to the edges. Sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly across the top
- Bake for 30-35 minutes then leave to cool in the tin
- Once cooled, use a knife to ease the brownie away from the edge of the tin before lifting out, then cut into squares and store in an airtight container
Some products I used in today's post...
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Nooch. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
All things autumn - warming soups, savoury bakes and delicious sweet treats!
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword