Posted in Recipes on 05.04.2018
Choc and Nut Oaty Cookies
prep: 15 mins / cook: 20 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 35 mins / quantity: 10 cookies Print recipe?
Is it possible to have too many ‘go to’ cookie recipes? What about Choc and Nut Oaty Cookies that are sublimely soft, oozing dark chocolate chips AND with a nutty crunch? I am such a cookie fan. And there are very few things that beat a warm, fresh out of the oven cookie. I think I could live on that and never get bored.
Do you have a favourite cookie? It’s been an education going from cookies that always involved lots of butter, sugar and flour to ones that are often gluten free or even shortbread without butter! But what an education ? I love creating savoury recipe ideas but as a baker at heart my favourite days are cookie making days.
In my college days there used to be a ‘hole in the wall’ bakery in the local town that sold nothing but cookies. No ordinary cookies though – these were ones that were literally fresh from the oven. Meltingly soft to the point of not even supporting their own weight and oozing chocolate chips.
Since then I’ve wanted to recreate those cookies but my healthier take on them. Still soft and gooey with melting chocolate chips but no refined sugar and the addition of oats to give an amazing chewy texture.
I’m also a recent convert to quinoa flakes since discovering them from Hodmedods. They’re smaller than rolled oats and whilst they have similar amounts of protein in them to their oaty counterpart, the protein in quinoa flakes contains all the essential amino acids the body can’t produce on its own. This makes these delicious cookies a great afternoon pick me up or a post gym treat. Or “it’s Monday and I want a cookie”. They tick that box too ?
Are you pre-heating your ovens yet?
If you make this recipe or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture!)
Choc and Nut Oaty Cookies
prep: 15 mins / cook: 20 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 35 mins / quantity: 10 cookies
- 2 tblsp coconut oil
- 2 tblsp ground flax seeds
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup quinoa flakes
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup nut butter – I’ve tried both almond and peanut for these and they both taste great!
- 1/2 cup dairy free chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- 1/4 cup pecan nuts – roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts – roughly chopped
- Melt the coconut oil and set aside
- Mix the ground flax seeds with 6 tablespoons of cold water and set that aside too while you mix everything else
- Preheat the oven to 160 Fan / 180 C / 350 F / Gas 4 and line a large baking tray (or 2 small) with parchment or a silicon mat
- In a large bowl stir together the oats, quinoa flakes, spices and coconut sugar
- Whisk the nut butter into the coconut oil then whisk in the flax 'egg'
- Add this mixture to your bowl of dry ingredients and using a rubber spatula stir everything together till just mixed then stir in the chocolate and chopped nuts
- Scoop spoonfuls onto your tray(s) and flatten with the back of a spoon
- Bake for 20 minutes until firm then leave to cool on the tray for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely (though they really are absolutely the BEST when eaten warm!)
- Store in an airtight container
Some products I used in today's post...
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Nooch. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
All things autumn - warming soups, savoury bakes and delicious sweet treats!
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword