Posted in Recipes on 23.07.2023
Crunchy Peanut Butter Shortbread
prep: 20 mins / cook: 15 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 35 mins / quantity: 25 - 30 cookies Print recipe?
Buttery, melt in the mouth vegan peanut butter shortbread cookies made with just 4 ingredients!
Simple, no fuss, no chilling required, rich and delicious cookies made, baked and ready to eat in around half an hour? Well, yes please! These peanut butter shortbread cookies really do tick all the boxes for easy to make and delicious to eat. The addition of peanut butter takes these vegan cookies into the realms of ‘oh just one more’ to 10 cookies later and ‘where did ALL those cookies go?’
I’ve always taken my shortbread seriously. And why fix what ain’t broke. Shortbread is one of those absolute timeless classics that I always thought shouldn’t be messed with. But one day I’m standing there spreading peanut butter on digestive biscuits (anyone else do that?) and wondered what peanut butter would be like actually IN the biscuit. But I didn’t want to make digestive biscuits – I’ve already done that.
Crunchy or smooth peanut butter?
I’ve used both making these shortbread cookies and hand on heart they both taste amazing. And slightly salted peanut butter is a whole other story!
How to make these easy peanut butter shortbread cookies:
There’s only 4 ingredients so this is going to go fast. Try and keep up 😉
Either by hand or in a stand mixer beat together the peanut butter and spread. I’ve used tub margarine rather than vegan butter or block margarine as the addition of peanut butter adds enough richness to the shortbread. It also gives a softer, creamier baked cookie.
Beat in the sugar then add the flour and mix together just until it forms a dough.
Tip the dough out onto your work surface and knead for just a moment or two until it’s soft and smooth.
Dust your surface with a little flour then roll out the dough to around 1/4 inch (1/2 cm) thick.
Use a cutter to cut out the cookies. Shape and size of the cutter is up to you, I used a 2 inch (5cm) round cutter. You can also cut simply into bars with a knife.
Place the cookies on a lined baking sheet then re-roll the trimmings until you’ve used all the dough.
With a fork poke a few holes in each biscuit then bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes until just set and very lightly golden. They will firm up a little as they cool.
As soon as they come out of the oven sprinkle with a little extra sugar.
Cool completely on wire racks and store in an airtight container. They actually keep pretty well for a few days – if they ever last that long!
Looking for even more easy vegan cookie recipes? Try these:
If you make this recipe or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him I’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees I’ll see your picture!)
Crunchy Peanut Butter Shortbread
prep: 20 mins / cook: 15 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 35 mins / quantity: 25 - 30 cookies
- 3/4 cup (150g) vegan margarine
- 1/2 cup (125g) peanut butter (see note)
- 3/4 cup (160g) golden caster sugar + extra for sprinkling
- 1 + 3/4 cup (300g) plain flour
- Preheat your oven to 170 Fan / 190 C / 375 Fan / Gas 5 and line a couple of large baking trays with parchment or silicon mats
- Beat together the dairy free spread and peanut butter - you can do this by hand or using a stand mixer
- Beat in the sugar
- Add the flour and mix just enough to form a soft dough - don't over-mix as this can make the shortbread tough rather than meltingly soft!
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and roll out to around 1/4 inch (1/2 cm) thick
- Cut into shapes with a metal cutter (I used a 5 cm/2 inch round cutter) or cut finger shapes with a sharp knife
- Carefully lift onto your prepared trays and put a couple of rows of holes in each cookie using a fork
- Bake for 15 minutes until just starting to turn golden. Sprinkle on a little extra sugar on each cookie as soon as you take the trays out of the oven
- Leave to cool completely before storing in an airtight container
- I've used both crunchy and smooth peanut butter when making these shortbread cookies and they both taste amazing!
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Nooch. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
All things autumn - warming soups, savoury bakes and delicious sweet treats!
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword