Posted in Recipes on 20.04.2018
Chocolate Banana and Peanut Butter Baked Oats
prep: 15 mins / cook: 45 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 60 mins / quantity: 8 bars Print recipe?
Look no further if you’re after an easy (read made in 1 bowl .. hurrah!), filling, delicious AND nutritious breakfast. Baked oats are truly a thing of beauty. Oven cooked porridge essentially and made ahead for those mornings (too many of those) that are rush rush rush. Or it’s actually warmer weather and you don’t fancy a steaming bowl of porridge!
Both Phil and I are HUGE fans of oats in general – as evidenced by the growing number of oat based recipes! And with baked oats, much like porridge and overnight oats you can add all sorts of healthy/tasty yummies.
I also wanted to make them vegan – I’m still getting to grips with using flax egg to replace actual eggs. With milk it’s generally just a straight swap with soy or nut milks. But replacing eggs in baking has been its own testing challenge. There was a 3 cake fiasco trying to make this Raspberry and Almond Cake vegan. Not that Phil minded. He ate them sunk/too almondy/underbaked.
And I’m still trying to work out when to use baking soda with apple cider vinegar instead of flax eggs. Anyone have any input?
But is there ever a better combination than bananas, oats, chocolate and peanut butter? That you can legitimately eat for breakfast and/or as a snack? These are flavours that were just MEANT to be together.
And if you’ve not tried Sweet Freedom yet, this is the perfect reason to start. All their products are made with no chemical processing, no additives and no preservatives. Just fruit sweetness. Mixed with a bit of mashed banana is all you need to make these baked oats deliciously sweet without being sickly or overpowering.
If you make this recipe or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture!)
And don’t forget to follow us on Instagram , Facebook or Twitter for even more recipe inspiration and chat, competitions, behind the scenes and so much more!
Chocolate Banana and Peanut Butter Baked Oats
prep: 15 mins / cook: 45 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 60 mins / quantity: 8 bars
- 1 tblsp ground flax seeds
- 2 large ripe bananas (the riper the better!)
- 2 heaped tblsp peanut butter
- 1/4 cup Sweet Freedom Choc Shake – Banana
- 1 cup unsweetened nut milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 banana for decoration
- sprinkle of coconut sugar
- Preheat your oven to 170 Fan / 190 C / 375 F / Gas 5 and line a 7 x 9 inch (18 x 24 cm) baking tin or dish with parchment, covering the base and sides
- In a small dish or mug mix the ground flax seeds with 3 tblsp cold water and set aside
- Peel 2 ripe bananas, break into chunks and put in a large(ish) bowl. Mash with a potato masher or fork
- Add the peanut butter and Sweet Freedom Choc Shake and whisk everything together
- Whisk in the flax egg, nut milk and vanilla essence
- Add the oats, baking powder and cinnamon and stir till well mixed
- Pour into the prepared tin then top with optional sliced banana and sprinkle with coconut sugar if using (this just gives a lovely caramely coating over the top)
- Bake for 45 minutes until risen and set.
- Serve immediately or allow to cool completely in the tin before cutting into bars
- Store in the fridge for up to 1 week or freeze in cut portions for a very quick grab and go breakkie!
Some products I used in today's post...
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Nooch. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
All things autumn - warming soups, savoury bakes and delicious sweet treats!
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword