Posted in Recipes on 17.12.2018
prep: 10 mins / cook: 15 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 25 mins / quantity: 6-8 pancakes Print recipe?
These Gingerbread Pancakes are soft, fluffy vegan pancakes with all the spice and treacle flavours of gingerbread. And SO easy to make!
Made in a blender, these gingerbread pancakes are easy to whip up, making them the perfect breakfast during this festive season! And they may be simple but boy are they satisfying!
Have you ever met a pancake you didn’t like? I haven’t. We have pancakes every Sunday – it’s Phil’s thing, whipping up a batch while Meg and I watch and wait, forks ready.
There’s a few pancake recipes on here already. We’ve got …
- Chia Seed Protein Pancakes
- Coconut Vegan Pancakes
- Summer Fruits Pancake Tacos
- Oaty Chocolate Pancakes with Chocolate Sauce
And they’re all made with either oats or just flour. But for these I wanted to try with Hodmedods quinoa flakes. They’re like oats in appearance only a little smaller and full of protein and fiber as well as vitamins and minerals. I’m not knocking oats, I absolutely love ’em. It’s just nice to mix things up from time to time 😉
I’ve made one of my all time favourite snacks to go on top. I can honestly eat these by the fistful. Literally. Maple glazed nuts – and in particular, pecans for these gingerbread pancakes. They’re SO simple to make and give an amazing sweet crunch contrast to the soft fluffy pancakes.
And of course an extra drizzle of maple syrup is practically mandatory for a gingerbread pancake stack right?
If you make this recipe or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture!)
And don’t forget to follow us on Instagram , Facebook or Twitter for even more recipe inspiration and chat, competitions, behind the scenes and so much more!
prep: 10 mins / cook: 15 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 25 mins / quantity: 6-8 pancakes
- 1 large ripe banana – the spottier the better!
- 1 + 1/4 cup Hodmedods Quinoa Flakes
- 1/2 cup (120ml) unsweetened almond milk
- juice of half a small lemon
- 1 tblsp black treacle or molasses
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (50g) coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup shelled pecan nuts
- 1 tblsp maple syrup
- Extra maple syrup for drizzling
Blender or good food processor – I used a Nutribullet
- Simply put everything into a blender cup and whizz until thick and smooth (see note)
- I find it easier to scrape the mixture out of the cup into a wide pouring jug or bowl. Leave to stand for a few minutes if you're making the maple toasted nuts
- Put the nuts in a small frying pan with the maple syrup and cook over a medium heat for just a minute or two, tossing the pan or stirring the nuts very frequently. You want the nuts to have a dark caramel colour. Remove from the heat and set aside
- Heat a large frying pan over a low - medium heat then pour or spoon in some of the mixture. I make 3-4 at a time. You can make the pancakes any size you want, just remember you have to flip them so leave some room in the pan!
- Cook for a minute or so until large bubbles have formed on the uncooked side then using a large fish slice or palette knife carefully flip the pancakes
- Cook on the other side for a further minute or so
- Stack the pancakes on a plate, top with the maple glazed nuts and a little extra drizzle of maple syrup for indulgent festive heaven :)
- If you have a decent food processor you can probably whizz the mixture in one of those too. You can also try not blending it - just mash the banana and add the remaining ingredients. The pancakes won't have a smooth texture though, but will probably be just as tasty!
Some products I used in today's post...
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Nooch. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
All things autumn - warming soups, savoury bakes and delicious sweet treats!
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword