Posted in Recipes on 14.08.2019
Go Nuts Ice Cream Pops
prep: 1 hour 15 mins / cook: 0 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 1 hour 15 mins / quantity: 6 ice pops Print recipe?
These vegan ice cream pops are smooth, creamy and super easy to make! We’ve also got vegan protein bars crushed into the ice cream and nibbly chunks on the rich chocolate coating. They’re the perfect healthy summer treat!
So a couple of weeks ago we had the hottest recorded day (ever!) in this country. And even though it’s dropped around 15 degrees since then, technically we’re still in the middle of summer and a smooth and creamy iced treat is definitely called for. Frequently.
If you’ve followed us for a while you’ll know that Phil is a gym goer and always looking to up his protein. Now despite the expectation it’s actually no more difficult to get enough protein in your diet as a vegan compared to a non-vegan. But as a serious weight trainer, the body might need a little extra help.
Vegan protein powders are all well and good and great for convenience in the form of a shake but what if you don’t fancy watery liquid?
But you already know I like to play with my food right?
So we’ve got a couple of bars ground up in the ice cream mixture (along with only 4 other ingredients!) as well as another couple of bars chopped up and sprinkled on the melted chocolate coating. These ice cream pops have a wonderful contrast of taste and texture. The ice cream is soso silky smooth and the chopped Go Nuts bars on the outside are wonderfully nibbly and chewy. Add in rich, dark chocolate and I’m going to be eating these long into autumn 😉
If you make this recipe or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture!)
Go Nuts Ice Cream Pops
prep: 1 hour 15 mins / cook: 0 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 1 hour 15 mins / quantity: 6 ice pops
- 1 cup (140g) cashew nuts
- 1 x 4oo ml can coconut milk
- 1/3 cup (110g) maple syrup
- 1/4 cup (60ml) unsweetened almond milk (or sub with your favourite plant milk)
- 2 Grenade Go Nuts Bars
- 1/2 cup (100g) vegan dark chocolate
- 1-2 Grenade Go Nuts Bars
Blender – I used a Nutribullet RX
6 x Lolly moulds
- Put the cashews into a heat proof bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave to soften for around an hour before draining well. This can also be done in cold water up to 24 hours ahead of using
- Put the drained cashews along with the coconut milk, maple syrup and milk into a blender cup
- Break the Go Nuts bars into pieces and add to the blender cup then whizz everything together until smooth and creamy
- Pour into you ice lolly moulds and freeze - I usually leave them overnight to make sure they're fully frozen
- When you're ready to take the lollies out of the moulds start by melting the chocolate either in a microwave or over a bain-marie (a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water)
- Chop a couple of the Go Nuts bars into fairly small pieces put into a bowl
- To remove the ice cream from the moulds run each one under the tap for just a few seconds until you can pull them out
- Dip each one into the melted chocolate, using a spoon to pour/drizzle it over the end of the lolly then sprinkle over a pinch of the chopped protein bars
- Store in the freezer
Some products I used in today's post...
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Nooch. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
All things autumn - warming soups, savoury bakes and delicious sweet treats!
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword