Posted in Recipes on 29.01.2020
Healthy Breakfast Muffins
prep: 20 mins / cook: 25 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 45 mins / quantity: approx 12 muffins Print recipe?
Start your day with a feel-good muffin! A few easy tweaks mean freshly baked healthy breakfast muffins won’t derail your diet!
I genuinely believe breakfast is important because I don’t know about you but if I don’t have something upon starting my day I tend to graze and end up eating all manner of crap as the morning passes to lunch. And I feel better when I know I have something fresh, wholesome and full of the good stuff. Like healthy breakfast muffins.
Working from home definitely has its advantages. Getting to spend the day with Nooch and Bax, not really having to worry about what my hair looks like (the sights those poor delivery drivers must see) and of course warm from the oven breakfast muffins is about as good as it gets.
Not that these should be exclusively limited to breakfast. Healthy banana muffins go surprisingly well with an afternoon cuppa too 😉
How to make easy vegan muffins healthy(er):
Just a few simple tweaks are all that is needed:
- Reduce the added sugar content by using bananas for sweetness (they’re also highly nutritious)
- The spottier the banana the better – an overripe banana is rich in antioxidants
- Swap white flour for wholemeal flour
- Use coconut sugar – it’s less refined than white sugar and has the most wonderful caramel flavour (and smell!)
- Use sultanas instead of chocolate chips – full of iron, more fibre, less fat, just as sweet
They’re super easy to make too – mash bananas, mix the wet ingredients together, mix the dry ingredients together then mix the whole lot together!
These soft, pillowy healthy breakfast muffins aren’t just good for body and soul (because muffins) thanks to the simple healthier swaps, but also just how much difference a sprinkle of oats across the top of a muffin can make. They toast as they’re baked and give a gorgeously wholesome oaty crunch to each gorgeously wholesome muffin. Goodness baked right in.
Looking for even more healthy vegan breakfast recipes? Try these:
If you make this recipe or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him I’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees I’ll see your picture!)
Healthy Breakfast Muffins
prep: 20 mins / cook: 25 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 45 mins / quantity: approx 12 muffins
- 1 cup (230ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 tblsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ripe bananas – the spottier the better
- 1/2 cup (90g) coconut sugar
- 2 cups (300g) wholemeal flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (50g) coconut oil – melted (can sub with preferred oil)
- 3/4 cup (115g) sultanas
- 1 -2 tblsp (approx) rolled oats
- Preheat your oven to 180 Fan / 200 C / 400 F / Gas 6 and line 12 muffin cups with cases
- In a jug or small bowl whisk together the milk, vanilla and vinegar and set aside
- Peel the bananas, break into chunks and mash in a large bowl
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon
- Add the milk mixture to the bananas and stir together
- Add the bowl of dry ingredients and mix well with a rubber spatula, adding the sultanas roughly half way through mixing. Stir up from the bottom of the bowl, making sure no flour 'pockets' remain
- Spoon the mixture evenly between your muffin cups, filling each cup 2/3 full then sprinkle a few oats over each muffin
- Bake for 25 minutes until a cocktail stick inserted into one of the muffins comes out clean
- If you're not eating these immediately leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring from the tin to a wire rack and allowing to cool completely. Store in an airtight container
- These are lovely cold as well as warm and can easily be frozen
Some products I used in today's post...
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Nooch. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
All things autumn - warming soups, savoury bakes and delicious sweet treats!
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword