Posted in Recipes on 07.01.2024
Cauliflower Cheese One Pan Meal
prep: 20 mins / cook: 30 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 50 mins / quantity: 4 servings Print recipe?
Baked until crisp and bubbly, this vegan cauliflower cheese with leeks, sprouts and sausages is a whole meal all cooked in one pan for an easy dinner!
This is absolute cosy comfort food heaven. Creamy, cheesy and baked to perfection. Whilst cauliflower cheese is normally a side dish, I’ve been trying to make more one pan meals lately because we’re all busy (and getting busier it seems). It’s also still very much winter and warm, cosy and most importantly easy dinners are very much needed.
I originally saw this idea on Instagram and wanted to make it vegan because it looked so delicious. I also wanted to add my own herbs and spices and even more veggies for a full meal all cooked in one pan! My other thought was I wanted to scale it up because whilst it’s a fab idea to create one pan meals for one, I’m also a fan of cook once, eat more than once. Leftovers make the week just easier if you’re living alone like me.
How to make this easy dinner:
You’ll want a large oven proof skillet. I love this stackable saucepan set from Tefal. I got them when living and travelling around in a caravan, when space was a premium. They’ve got a detachable handle and go straight from hob to oven simply by removing the handle. They can even be used for baking cakes in!
If you don’t have an ovenproof pan, you can simply transfer it all to a baking dish before putting in the oven.
Start by cooking the sausages in the pan until fairly well coloured. Use your favourite sausages. My current go to are the ones from Richmond. They’ve got a lovely spice to them and have all the taste and texture of an actual sausage.
Remove the cooked sausages from the pan and slice each one into a few pieces, return to the pan and cook for a few more minutes until crispy.
Melt in butter and add leeks and sprouts, cooking for a few minutes, stirring from time to time until just starting to soften.
Stir in the garlic and cook for a further minute then add the nutmeg, sage, bouillon, mustard and flour and stir well.
Stir in the milk and seasoning then around 3/4 of the cheese and mix well again.
Finally stir in the cauliflower florets, making sure they’re well covered in the sauce.
Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and pop in the oven for 30-35 minutes until the cauliflower is just tender and the top is golden and lovely!
Serving the cauliflower cheese:
I wanted to make this as much of a meal in one dish as possible so just some crusty bread is perfect. You could add other steamed vegetables or bake some potato wedges or a jacket potato while you’ve got the oven on for the cauliflower cheese.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. It reheats in the microwave very well making this an easy meal for another day!
Looking for even more easy dinner ideas? Try these:
If you make this recipe or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him I’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees I’ll see your picture!)
Cauliflower Cheese One Pan Meal
prep: 20 mins / cook: 30 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 50 mins / quantity: 4 servings
- drizzle of oil
- 8 vegan sausages
- 1 tablespoon (15g) vegan butter
- 1 leek – thinly sliced
- 2.5 cups (250g) Brussel’s sprouts – shredded
- 5 cloves garlic – crushed
- 1 heaped teaspoon wholegrain mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 2 teaspoons bouillon
- 2 tablespoons (25g) plain flour
- 2.5 cups (650ml) plant milk
- 2 cups (140g) vegan cheese – grated weight
- salt and pepper
- 1 medium cauliflower
- In an large ovenproof skillet or saute pan cook the sausages with a drizzle of oil until golden on all sides. Remove from the pan, slice into a few pieces per sausage then return to the pan. Cook for a few more minutes until crispy
- Melt in the butter then add the leeks and sprouts and cook, stirring from time to time until just softened
- Stir in the garlic and cook for a further minute then add the nutmeg, sage, bouillon, mustard and flour and stir well.
- Stir in the milk and seasoning then around 3/4 of the cheese and mix well again.
- Finally stir in the cauliflower florets, making sure they're well covered in the sauce.
- Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and pop in the oven for 30-35 minutes until the cauliflower is just tender and the top is golden and lovely!
- If you don't have an ovenproof pan, you can simply transfer it all to a baking dish before putting in the oven
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Nooch. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
All things autumn - warming soups, savoury bakes and delicious sweet treats!
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword