Posted in Recipes on 06.07.2023
Creamy Lemon Courgette Rigatoni
prep: 15 mins / cook: 20 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 35 mins / quantity: 3 servings Print recipe?
Creamy Lemon Courgette Rigatoni is a wonderful summery pasta. Lots of veggies all cooked in one pan in around 20 minutes for a speedy weeknight meal the whole family can enjoy!
I actually first made this lemon courgette rigatoni allll the way back last summer while living in the caravan. I posted it to Pinterest as a quick meal idea for busy weeknights. I never posted the full recipe to the website as it was a bit ad hoc and I only filmed a quick video with no photos for the website. But to date it’s one of my most popular Pinterest recipes – the other being these spicy spinach and lentil enchiladas. So I finally got round to putting pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) and writing up the recipe properly.
Because this creamy dreamy pasta absolutely deserves it. It’s simple (so so simple). And all cooked in one pan so while here in the UK we’re enjoying a rather nice summer, there’s no multiple pans heating up your kitchen!
If you have yourself a veggie averse picky eater it’s unlikely they’ll even notice the courgette in this lemon pasta. It cooks down and almost ‘melts’ into the rest of the pasta sauce. If they don’t like spinach you can just leave it out.
How to make this simple summer pasta:
Because this is so simple to actually cook I find it worth getting everything ready before hand. It’s then just a case of adding things to the pan in order before leaving it to bubble to cook the pasta.
So start by prepping the veggies – slice and wash the leeks, peel and crush the garlic* and grate the courgette.
*I’ve been really lazy lately and buying my garlic pre-crushed in a jar. Honestly, game changer!!
Measure out your wine and stock and lemon juice into a jug. Have a little bowl with your herbs, spices and nutritional yeast mixed together ready to go.
Heat a little oil and butter in a large saucepan. Saute the leeks for 3-4 minutes over a medium heat until just softened and starting to caramelise. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
Stir in the sage, paprika and nutritional yeast.
Add the wine, stock and lemon juice and stir everything together. Stir in the grated courgette and rigatoni pasta. Bubble over a medium heat for 10-12 minutes until the pasta is just al dente (firm to the bite).
Wilt in the spinach and basil then stir in the cheeses. Once the cheese has melted stir in the cream and seasoning to taste.
This lemon courgette pasta makes terrific leftovers – reheat in a saucepan or microwave. It’s even pretty delicious cold for a packed lunch!
Substitutions for your lemon courgette rigatoni:
- The leeks can be substituted with white or brown onions
- The sage can be swapped for oregano or rosemary
- Use any other short pasta for this – farfalle, conchiglie, penne etc
- Omit the spinach if you don’t like it
Looking for even more easy vegan pasta recipes? Try these:
If you make this recipe or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him I’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees I’ll see your picture!)
Creamy Lemon Courgette Rigatoni
prep: 15 mins / cook: 20 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 35 mins / quantity: 3 servings
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 leek – sliced into rings, washed and drained
- 4 large cloves garlic – peeled and crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 cup (240ml) white wine
- 3 cups (750ml) vegetable stock
- 1 lemon juice
- 1 large courgette – grated
- 3 + 1/2 cups (300g) dried rigatoni pasta
- 2-3 handfuls fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup (120g) grated vegan mozzarella
- 1/3 cup (10g) grated vegan parmesan
- 1/2 cup (125ml) vegan cream
- few fresh basil leaves – shredded
- Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan or skillet then saute the leeks for 3-4 minutes until just softened
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute
- Stir in the sage, paprika and nutritional yeast
- Add the wine, stock and lemon juice and then stir in the grated courgette and pasta and give everything a good stir
- Bubble over a medium heat, stirring from time to time for 10-12 minutes until the pasta is just cooked
- Wilt in the spinach then melt in the grated cheeses
- Stir in the cream and basil and season to taste
- See details in the blog post for substitution ideas
- Store any cooled leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. It's just as lovely cold for a packed lunch or picnic or can be reheated in a saucepan or microwave
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Nooch. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
All things autumn - warming soups, savoury bakes and delicious sweet treats!
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword