Posted in Recipes on 01.03.2018
Crunchy Peanut Butter Shortbread
prep: 20 mins / cook: 15 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 35 mins / quantity: 30 cookies Print recipe?
Didn’t think you could make shortbread without butter? Nope, me neither! Turns out you very much can thanks to 4 basic ingredients and the magical thing that is Jackpot Peanut Butter.
It takes these cookies into the realms of ‘oh just one more’ to twenty cookies later and ‘where did ALL those cookies go?’
I’ve always taken my shortbread pretty seriously. Why fix what ‘aint broke? Shortbread is one of those absolute timeless classics that I always thought shouldn’t be messed with. But one day I’m standing there spreading peanut butter on digestive biscuits (anyone else do that?) and wondered what peanut butter would be like actually IN the biscuit. But I didn’t want to make digestive biscuits – I’ve already done that.
And I miss shortbread. Like MISS it. It’s the perfect biscuit to accompany an afternoon cuppa. Rich, sweet and almost creamy in texture. But I had no idea if it was even possible to make vegan shortbread, being all dependent on that rich butteryness for flavour.
Enter Jackpot Peanut Butter in all its wonderful glory. Added to non dairy spread (I used Vitalite) and sweetened with coconut sugar and a dash of maple syrup to really bring out the peanut butter flavour and folks, you will honestly enter shortbread heaven.
For these cookies are crisp but soft, like melt in the mouth soft. They’re sweet with just a hint of salt. The kind of hint that just catches the back of your jaw leaving you marvel at how flavour notes can physically effect you. Dare I say, weak at the knees a little?
I ❤ peanut butter shortbread.
If you make this recipe or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture!)
Crunchy Peanut Butter Shortbread
prep: 20 mins / cook: 15 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 35 mins / quantity: 30 cookies
- 150g dairy free spread (I used Vitalite)
- 125g crunchy peanut butter
- 50g coconut sugar
- 85g maple syrup
- 300g plain flour
- Preheat your oven to 170 Fan / 190 C / 375 Fan / Gas 5 and line a couple of large baking trays with parchment or silicon mats
- Beat together the dairy free spread and peanut butter - you can do this by hand or using a stand mixer
- Add the sugar and maple syrup, scraping down the sides of the bowl if using a stand mixer
- Add the flour and mix just enough to form a soft dough - don't over-mix as this can make the shortbread tough rather than meltingly soft!
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and roll out to around 1/2 cm thick
- Cut into shapes with a metal cutter (I used a 6 cm/2 inch round cutter) or cut finger shapes with a sharp knife
- Carefully lift onto your prepared trays and put a couple of rows of holes in each cookie using a fork
- Bake for 15 minutes until just starting to turn golden. Sprinkle on a little extra coconut sugar on each cookie as soon as you take the trays out of the oven
- Leave to cool completely before storing in an airtight container
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Nooch. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
All things autumn - warming soups, savoury bakes and delicious sweet treats!
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword