Posted in Recipes on 03.08.2019
Vegan Chocolate Pie
prep: 30 mins / cook: 25 mins / inactive: 3 hours 0 mins / total: 3 hours 55 mins / quantity: 8-10 slices Print recipe?
Ultra rich, smooth and creamy this vegan chocolate pie is a complete doddle to make but tastes thoroughly decadent!
I say decadent but what I mean is DECADENT!! This vegan chocolate pie was one of those things I made mostly as an experiment but the Gods smiled, the angels sang and as Phil and I took one bite of this we just looked at each other. We knew. In that moment, we just knew. This is what vegan food is about.
I genuinely challenge anyone to tell this was vegan.
And you know what? Tell them it’s vegan once they’ve cooed and complimented. And then tell them it’s made with tofu.
Yes – silken TOFU. That strange white blubbery stuff that confounds lots of people and puts them off eating it ever again.
Nope I’m not bonkers. Yes it tastes like the BEST chocolate mousse meets chocolate truffle tart and I promise hand on heart one slice will not be enough.
You can go the extra mile and make your own pastry. It’s not scary and if you have a food processor it could NOT be simpler. Whizz, chill, roll, bake. Nothing more complicated than that.
I’ve made lots of different tofu recipes recently. All savoury until this vegan chocolate pie though. And this was my first experiment with silken tofu. Considering it’s still tofu it’s a very different texture to the firm tofu you associate with stir fries and baked tofu. Its texture straight out of the carton reminds me of a creme caramel. Soft, smooth and very silken. Oh and tactile! I’d have loved playing with silken tofu as a kid 😉
Now I not only get to play with these amazing vegan ingredients but I get the best part – eating them. 4 slices in a row later, chocolatey fingers and rubbed bellies we were satisfied this is a very special vegan dessert recipe indeed.
The set mousse-like pie filling is just full of pretty darn special ingredients in their own right. Chocolate almond milk, cashew butter, tahini, dairy free rich dark chocolate, vanilla and agave syrup. And it’s as simple as whizzing it all up with the tofu in a blender and pouring it into your baked pie crust. The hardest part is waiting for this vegan chocolate pie to set before you slice.
If you make this recipe or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture!)
And don’t forget to follow us on Instagram , Facebook or Twitter for even more recipe inspiration and chat, competitions, behind the scenes and so much more!
Vegan Chocolate Pie
prep: 30 mins / cook: 25 mins / inactive: 3 hours 0 mins / total: 3 hours 55 mins / quantity: 8-10 slices
- 1 + 1/3 cups (200g) plain white flour
- 1/2 cup (100g) vegan butter
- 1 tblsp golden caster sugar
- 2-3 tblsp cold water
- 1 +1/4 cups (230g) vegan dark chocolate
- 12 ounces (349g) pack silken tofu
- 1/2 cup (120ml) chocolate almond milk (or other nut milk)
- 1/4 cup (70g) cashew butter (or any other nut butter)
- 1/4 cup (70g) tahini
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tblsp agave syrup (or maple syrup)
- Fresh fruit and vegan chocolate truffles
- Start with the pastry - put the flour, butter and sugar into a food processor and whizz until no lumps of butter remain. With the motor running add 2 tblsp water - if it doesn't come together to make a soft dough add a drop more water until it does
- You can also do this whole process by hand - just put the flour and butter in a bowl and rub them together until the mixture ressembles sand or fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar then enough water to make a soft dough
- Whichever way you make it, wrap the dough in cling film and put in the fridge for 30 minutes
- Unwrap the pastry and roll out on a floured surface until it's big enough to fill a 10 inch (25cm) loose bottomed pie tin. Gently lift the pastry and drape into your tin, flattening it across the base and pushing it against the sides
- Trim off the excess (see note) and leave the edge plain or crimp gently with your fingers and thumb
- Prick all over the base with a fork then put the tin in the freezer for another 30 minutes
- Preheat your oven to 180 Fan / 200 C / 400 F / Gas 6
- Put the tart tin onto a tray and put straight into the hot oven from the freezer and bake for 25-30 minutes until lightly golden and crisp. Leave to cool while you make the filling
- Melt the dark chocolate in a microwave or over a bain marie (a heatproof dish set over a pan of barely simmering water)
- While it's melting put the remaining ingredients into your food processor (or you can use a blender if you don't have a food processor) then add the chocolate once it's melted
- Whizz until smooth and creamy then pour into your cooked pastry case
- Leave to set in the fridge for 1-2 hours
- Decorate however you like - I used fresh fruit and cocoa dusted vegan chocolate truffles
- I re-roll and cut the pastry trimmings into strips, put on a tray and bake them with the tart base - no need to freeze them though! Both the garden birds and Meg love them!
Some products I used in today's post...
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Nooch. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
All things autumn - warming soups, savoury bakes and delicious sweet treats!
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword