Posted in Recipes on 27.11.2017
Gingerbread Cookies (Vegan & Gluten Free!)
prep: 20 mins / cook: 12 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 32 mins / quantity: 12 - 14 cookies Print recipe?
In the land of all things healthier, is there room for an ingredient that’s never going to be healthy? Well yes. Why? Because CHRISTMAS! And because gingerbread cookies HAVE to have black treacle (aka molasses to our across the pond readers). It’s the thing (other than the ginger of course) that gives them all their gingerbready-ness. Soft, melt in the mouth cookies and a flavour that is treacle’s alone.
Nothing else can substitute.
So I had to be super virtuous with the rest of the ingredients. And I think I’ve done it – and did I mention they’re also vegan and gluten free?! I call that a gingerbread win!
Add to that just how good for you ginger is and I think we can safely categorise these cookies as a health food right? ?
There’s also a whole boat load of goodies in them other than the ginger:
- almond butter – unsaturated fats that help improve cholesterol and provide energy
- coconut oil – helps convert the ‘bad’ cholesterol into ‘good’ cholesterol in our bodies
- coconut flour – high in fibre and protein and free from wheat and grains
- coconut sugar – whilst its vitamin, mineral and phytonutrient content is only in small amounts, it’s still double that of granulated sugar
Can we get a hallelujah for the coconut?
And as it’s officially the first week of Christmas – yes it is – get that tree lit, slap on an apron and some Christmas choooons and start baking. Because you’ll want to make these more than once. I mean you’ve got a whole tin of treacle now right? And because YUM.
Make these for your friends, your family, your co-workers or heck, just for yourself. Christmas deserves a whole month of celebration and nothing says Christmas louder than the smell of these gingery nibbles fresh from the oven.
If you make this recipe or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture!)
And don’t forget to follow us on Instagram , Facebook or Twitter for even more recipe inspiration and chat, competitions, behind the scenes and so much more!
Gingerbread Cookies (Vegan & Gluten Free!)
prep: 20 mins / cook: 12 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 32 mins / quantity: 12 - 14 cookies
- 1 + 1/2 tblsp ground flax
- 4 tblsp water
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil – melted and cooled slightly
- 1/4 cup treacle (or molasses)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar + extra for sprinkling
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground all spice
- 1/4 cup crystallised ginger – cut into small pieces
- Mix the ground flax seed with the water in a small bowl or mug and set aside for 5 minutes to thicken
- Preheat your oven to 160 Fan / 180 C / 350 F / Gas 4 and line a large baking tray with parchment or a silicon mat
- Whisk together the flax egg, almond butter and melted coconut oil until smooth then add the treacle, sugar and vanilla and mix well
- In a large bowl mix the coconut flour with the baking soda, cinnamon, ground ginger, all spice and crystallised ginger, then pour in the treacle mixture, stirring to make a sticky dough
- Scoop out spoonfuls, shape into balls then flatten with the palm of your hand onto the prepared baking sheet
- Sprinkle each cookie with a little extra coconut sugar
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until firm and the tops have started to crack
- Leave to cool on the tray then store in an airtight container
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Nooch. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
All things autumn - warming soups, savoury bakes and delicious sweet treats!
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword