So .. what is Baobab?
Baobab is the common name for each of the nine species of tree in the genus Adansonia. The fruit has a velvety shell and is about the size of a coconut. As the fruit naturally dries, the mature pods are harvested, cracked open and the pulp separated from the seeds and shell. This pulp is then milled to produce a fine powder and it’s the lack of moisture that is key to the minimal production process – drying with high temperatures is not required, making the baobab powder a raw product. The seeds can then be pressed into oil.
It has a tart, acidic flavour described as somewhere between grapefruit, pear and vanilla. We think it tastes like THE most delicious sherbet!
Whilst the baobab tree has been introduced to such regions as Madagascar and India, most baobab comes from its primarily native Southern Africa. Here the communities are often very rural and very poor. By harvesting the abundant baobab trees these communities can become more self-sufficient, giving them a sustainable income for their households, with an incentive to protect the trees for future generations. By buying these products you are indirectly trading with these communities.
What baobab can do for you
- The soluble fibres have been found to promote the growth of healthy bacteria in the gut
- It’s a great source of vitamin C – an essential nutrient and antioxidant – giving your immune system a boost
- The vitamin C content in baobab also helps your body form collagen and elastin that give your skin support and elasticity
- It’s one of the richest plant based sources of calcium known, supporting bone and dental health as well as muscle formation
- With up to 6 x as much potassium as bananas, the electrolyte rich baobab helps maintain healthy muscle function as well as regulating the body’s hydration
- It may also help with weight loss as it contains carnitine, a compound that helps metabolise fat into fuel instead of storing it
10 Fabulous ways to get the most out of your baobab powder
Sticky, naturally sweet but refined sugar and dairy free, made with wholemeal flour and an extra fruity boost from the baobab powder
These are also just as good nekkid as when they’re covered in crunchy nuts or fruity sherbet-y baobab powder!
Don’t these just like you could get your fork and dig in?! Gorgeous spices and just a few store cupboard ingredients and you could be enjoying these amazing looking pancakes!
Just 4 ingredients needed to make this deliciously refreshing looking juice!
A healthier vegan version of a breakfast favourite – sticky and naturally sweet from the date filling!
6. Raspberry Power Smoothie
Our delicious and hearty Raspberry Power Smoothie which you can find in our free E-book! It has a shot of fruity, sherbety baobab powder – a vitamin C rich fruit for some extra energy.
A dairy-free citrus cake that looks not only light but also delicious!
No need be daunted by making your own jam! This super simple recipe gives perfect jam every single time!
There’s nothing quite like a home-made version of a ‘healthy’ cereal bar – and just 6 ingredients!
Creamy oats and fat little chia seeds combined with sharp, sherbet-y raspberries gently slaps your face awake in this perfectly easy make ahead breakfast!
We love using it, and if you do too, sign up for our newsletter and get our free e-book for more great tasting and healthy recipes!