Posted in Recipes on 29.06.2023
BBQ Cauliflower Wings
prep: 15 mins / cook: 35 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 50 mins / quantity: 2-4 servings Print recipe?
A little bit spicy and full of flavour, these meat free BBQ cauliflower wings are great for both feeding a crowd or a solo movie marathon!
I’m not for a second going to claim that these BBQ cauliflower wings are going to fool a meat eater but I’m rather confident that they will enjoy them enough to go back for more!
Do you love cauliflower? If you’re on the fence or even not a fan of cauliflower I think these just might convert you. The cauliflower flavour is taken down a notch and the combination of crispy BBQ sauce coating and soft middles is just wonderful! They really are finger lickin good 😉
How to prepare the cauliflower:
Cut the cauliflower into bite sized florets, leaving some of the stalk attached. Because we’re baking them the stalk will be lovely and soft, not woody and inedible. Try to keep the florets roughly the same size so that they bake evenly.
How to prepare and cook the vegan wings:
Put the flour, cornflour, garlic and onion powder and salt into a large bowl and whisk. Then whisk in the milk to make a thin batter.
Add the prepared cauliflower florets and stir or toss together until well and evenly coated.
Place onto a prepared tray – or trays if one isn’t big enough as you want to space them a little apart so that they crisp up rather than steam.
Bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes.
While they’re baking put the BBQ sauce into a clean large bowl. Then add the part cooked cauliflower and carefully stir until they’re well coated in the BBQ sauce.
Place back on the tray and bake for another 15-20 minutes until crisp.
Storing any leftover BBQ cauliflower wings:
If you find you’ve got some leftovers, cool completely then store in an airtight container in the fridge. They can then be reheated in an oven or microwave.
Looking for even more vegan cauliflower recipes? Try these:
If you make this recipe or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him I’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees I’ll see your picture!)
BBQ Cauliflower Wings
prep: 15 mins / cook: 35 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 50 mins / quantity: 2-4 servings
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1/2 cup (80g) plain flour
- 1 tblsp cornflour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion salt
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup (120ml) unsweetened dairy free milk
- 1/2 cup (125ml) BBQ sauce (see note)
- Preheat your oven to 180 Fan / 200 C / 400 F / Gas 6 and line 1-2 trays with parchment or silicon mats
- Cut your cauliflower into bite sized florets - roughly all the same size where possible. Leave some of the stalk attached.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, cornflour, garlic powder, onion powder and salt then whisk in the milk to make a thin batter
- Put the cauliflower into the bowl then stir or toss until well and evenly coated in the batter then place onto your prepared tray(s) spacing a little apart from each other so they crisp rather than steam
- Bake for 15 minutes
- While that's cooking put the BBQ sauce into a clean large bowl then add the part cooked cauliflower
- Carefully stir to coat the cauliflower in the sauce then tip back onto the tray and bake for a further 15-20 minutes
- Use a reasonably good quality BBQ sauce as the flavour mellows once it's cooked
- Store any leftovers in the fridge and reheat in the oven or microwave
- Recipe serves 2 as a hearty meal with extra salad, protein or crusty bread or 4 as a side dish
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Nooch. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
All things autumn - warming soups, savoury bakes and delicious sweet treats!
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword